Wednesday, November 16, 2016

I Made a Rock

On Sunday mornings, my family and I go to worship and then my son, who is almost 5, goes to BASIC (Brothers And Sisters In Christ - our church's name for Sunday School). Each week, BASIC starts with songs and the Bible story with all of the kids together in the sanctuary. Then the kids head into classrooms for time with their peers. They share highs and lows, pray together, and usually do an activity together.

This past Sunday, I asked O how BASIC was and what they did. Here's how our conversation went:
Me: What did you do in BASIC today?
O: We played with Play-Doh!
Me: Oh, that sounds fun. What were you making with it?
O: Well, we were supposed to make something we are thankful for.
Me: That's cool. What did you make?
O: I made a rock.
Me: A rock, huh? You're thankful for rocks?
O: No. I wanted to make a human being, but it was too hard, so I made a rock.
Me: Oh. I gotcha. Human beings are hard to make. You're thankful for humans, though?
O: No! I was trying to make you, Mama!
Me: (tearing up) That is so sweet, buddy. I am thankful for you, too.

It makes me think about how thankful I am for the people in my life, but how infrequently I tell them. Why are we so quick to share our feelings of gratitude when it comes to things, but slow to share when it comes to people? I suppose it has something to do with vulnerability. It feels like a big risk to tell someone that you're thankful for them. Because what if they don't feel the same way back? But doesn't it feel good to hear that someone is thankful for you? Maybe that's what we need to focus on. Regardless of their response, it feels good to risk vulnerability, and it always feels good to hear that you are loved/appreciated. Who can you tell today that you're thankful for them?

Also, the conversation with O on Sunday reminded me of the song "We Want a Rock" by They Might Be Giants. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

awww, aren't kids the best? and yes - everyone does want a rock to wind a piece of string around!

Alphabet Kid said...

I know! What a sweetie, right?!